Our names are Caroline and Chris. We’re a 30-something couple based in the North West of England who work full time but try to go on holiday every 3 months. Or as much as we can stretch 32.5 days of annual leave to.
This blogging malarkey began after our honeymoon in May 2016. Basically, we needed a project to fill the void left by 3 years of wedding planning being over, otherwise we were just going to repeatedly redecorate our entire house for the rest of time. So we bought a fancy camera, got into photography and wrote some blog posts about our honeymoon. One of our first blogs ever went a bit viral (it was about Reykjavik if you’re interested – it’s not even a very good post). And the rest is history.
I (Caroline) tend to do most of the writing, but we share the photography between us. This means that any photos featuring a thumb over the lens aren’t by me.
We’ve been together since January 2011 and travel has always played a huge part in our relationship. We’ve racked up over 20 countries together now and I suppose forcing friends and family to look at photos and read about it was inevitable. But apparently strangers on the internet also quite like it.
European city breaks are the ‘bread and butter’ of our travel, as well as local UK breaks. But we’re lucky enough to have friends in Japan so really specialise in that. We don’t do all-inclusive hotels, package holidays, packing light, super luxury, or roughing it. Our travel is all about spending far too much money on new outfits for the trip and then staying in a mid-range rented apartment so we don’t have to get up for breakfast. We pack in absolutely loads of walking, culture, public transport and day trips in the days and tend to forage for local craft beer and gin at night… All while eating 24/7 and coming home to have to buy more clothes because fat.
You can get in touch with us by email, or stalk us at various online places listed below:
- Facebook @packthesuitcases
- Twitter @packthesuitcase
- Instagram @packthesuitcases
- Pinterest @packthesuitcases.
Countries/cities visited together
Obvs, we’ve been to other places on friend holidays but this is our joint list and where you’ll find stuff I’ve written about.
- England – We live here (unfortunately) so have seen a lot of it. Our ‘home’ cities are Liverpool and Manchester. We love Kirkby Lonsdale and Shrewsbury for weekends away.
- Scotland – Dumfries & Galloway area – Kirkcudbright and around it (x2), Edinburgh (x3), North Berwick (x2)
- Isle of Man – all over the island! Note: it’s not part of the UK.
- Germany – Munich (x2), Berlin, Landsberg am Lech
- Bulgaria – Sofia
- Portugal – Madeira (x3), Lisbon, Porto, Vila Nova De Gaia, Guimaraes
- Austria – Salzburg, Vienna
- France – Paris
- Belgium – Bruges
- Spain – Gran Canaria
- Italy – Rome
- Vatican City – And what?
- Denmark – Copenhagen (x2)
- Sweden – Stockholm (x2), Gothenburg, Malmo (x2)
- Norway – Bergen
- Iceland – Reykjavik
- Japan – Tokyo (x2), Kyoto, Matsumoto, Kanazawa, Itoigawa, Naoshima, Himeji, Kobe, Nara, Takamatsu, and generally all over Japan
- Malta – Valletta, Mdina, Gozo, Golden Bay, Sliema
- Slovenia – Ljubljana
- Croatia – Zagreb
Around the web
Some sites we’ve been featured/interviewed on:
- Goteborg press clips – Gothenburg Official Visitor Guide, July 2016
- British couple ‘shocked’ by the sheer volume of tourists in Reykjavík – Iceland Magazine, August 2016
- Non-traditional elegance: a gold dress and first look for a feminist bride and her glasshouse wedding – Love My Dress wedding blog, June 2017
- 9 of the best open-jaw trips, as recommended by travel bloggers – Helen on Her Holidays, July 2017
- Foodie travel: What is the ultimate afternoon tea? – Wanderer of the World, July 2017
- International Beer Day – sampling the world’s best beer – Dreams in Heels, August 2017
- Interview with Pack The Suitcases – Eat Sleep Love Travel, September 2017
- Travel bloggers’ love stories: incredible, but true! – Travel Moments In Time, September 2017
- 27 bloggers share their biggest travel blogging mistakes (so you don’t make them too) – Jessie on a Journey, September 2017
- 100 best places to visit in Europe – Road Affair, September 2017
- Hiking UK: 22 best day hikes in the UK by travel bloggers – Becky the Traveller, December 2017.