My name is Caroline but you’ll also see my other half Chris in most of my posts. We’re a 30-something couple based in the North West of England who work full time but try to go on holiday every 3 months. Or as much as we can stretch 32.5 days of annual leave to.
This blogging malarkey began after our honeymoon in May 2016. Basically, I needed a project to fill the void left by 3 years of wedding planning being over, otherwise I was just going to repeatedly redecorate our entire house for the rest of time.
So I bought a fancy camera, got into photography and wrote some blog posts about our honeymoon. One of these first ever blog posts went a bit viral (it was about Reykjavik if you’re interested – it’s not even a very good post). I must have loved all the online abuse that came with it, because the rest, as they say, is history. I’ve been blogging ever since.
Me and Chris have been together since January 2011 and travel has always played a huge part in our relationship. We’ve racked up over 20 countries together now and have always enjoyed boring friends and family with our travel tales. I still find it baffling that strangers on the internet apparently also quite like hearing about them…
What kind of holidays/travel do I write about here?
European city breaks are the ‘bread and butter’ of our travel, as well as local UK breaks. But we’re lucky enough to have friends in Japan so really specialise in that too.
- I don’t do all-inclusives, package holidays, packing light, super luxury, or roughing it. We never drive abroad and try to avoid it here in the UK too. I’m allergic to backpacks and any kind of ‘outdoorsy’ stuff (apart from walking and horse riding). I also don’t see the point of splurging all your spends on a swanky hotel when you’re only going to sleep there. As long as it has a decent shower and a well-placed plug socket for hair straighteners, I’m happy.
- I do do spending far too much on new outfits for the trip (but I always manage to pack the suitcase successfully – see what I did there? This is what it’s come to…).We usually stay in apartments or mid-range hotels when we’re away. I love cramming in loads of off-the-beaten-track exploring, culture, museums/galleries, ALL THE FOOD, local beer/gin and day trips on trains. Love a good coastal train journey with a nice village at the end of it. Also gin.
You can get in touch with me by email or at various online places listed below:
- Facebook @packthesuitcases
- Twitter @packthesuitcase
- Instagram @packthesuitcases
- Pinterest @packthesuitcases.
Obvs, we’ve been to other places on holidays with friends, but this is our joint list and where you’ll find stuff I’ve blogged about.
- England – We live here (unfortunately) so have seen a lot of it. I’ve lived all over the place in the North West, but our ‘home’ cities are Liverpool and Manchester. We love Kirkby Lonsdale and Shrewsbury for weekends away.
- Scotland – Dumfries & Galloway area – Kirkcudbright and around it (x2), Edinburgh (x3), North Berwick (x2)
- Isle of Man – all over the island! Note: it’s not part of the UK!
- Germany – Munich (x2), Berlin, Landsberg am Lech
- Bulgaria – Sofia
- Portugal – Madeira (x3), Lisbon, Porto, Vila Nova De Gaia, Guimaraes
- Austria – Salzburg, Vienna
- France – Paris
- Belgium – Bruges
- Spain – Gran Canaria
- Italy – Rome
- Vatican City – And what?
- Denmark – Copenhagen (x2)
- Sweden – Stockholm (x2), Gothenburg, Malmo (x2)
- Norway – Bergen
- Iceland – Reykjavik
- Japan – Tokyo (x2), Kyoto, Matsumoto, Kanazawa, Itoigawa, Naoshima, Himeji, Kobe, Nara, Takamatsu, and generally all over Japan
- Malta – Valletta, Mdina, Gozo, Golden Bay, Sliema
- Slovenia – Ljubljana
- Croatia – Zagreb
Have a little stalk of Pack The Suitcases around the web
Some sites I’ve been featured/interviewed on:
- Goteborg press clips – Gothenburg Official Visitor Guide, July 2016
- British couple ‘shocked’ by the sheer volume of tourists in Reykjavík – Iceland Magazine, August 2016 [and in Icelandic here]
- Non-traditional elegance: a gold dress and first look for a feminist bride and her glasshouse wedding – Love My Dress wedding blog, June 2017
- 9 of the best open-jaw trips, as recommended by travel bloggers – Helen on Her Holidays, July 2017
- Foodie travel: What is the ultimate afternoon tea? – Wanderer of the World, July 2017
- International Beer Day – sampling the world’s best beer – Dreams in Heels, August 2017
- Interview with Pack The Suitcases – Eat Sleep Love Travel, September 2017
- Travel bloggers’ love stories: incredible, but true! – Travel Moments In Time, September 2017
- 27 bloggers share their biggest travel blogging mistakes (so you don’t make them too) – Jessie on a Journey, September 2017
- 100 best places to visit in Europe – Road Affair, September 2017
- Hiking UK: 22 best day hikes in the UK by travel bloggers – Becky the Traveller, December 2017
- Travelling vegan: everything you need to know – You Could Travel, March 2018.