Pack The Suitcases started out in 2016 as a means of sharing photos and tales from my honeymoon with friends and family. For the first couple of months, my mum was my one and only reader (thanks, mum). Then somehow, it all got out of hand and now thousands of people follow my travels. You can find out more about me, Caroline, on my about me page.
My focuses include local UK trips, European city breaks and Japan travel. Here are some examples:
- local breaks: this one about the Isle of Man and this one about Kirkcudbright in Scotland
- European city breaks: this one about Ljubljana, Slovenia and this one about Funchal, Madeira
- travel in Japan: this one about how to plan a trip to Japan and this one about Tokyo.
My writing is light-hearted and humorous (or at least I try to be!) as well as offering useful information about the places I go. I’ve listed some of my most-read blog posts on my ‘best of the blog’ page.
My readers are mostly couples and independent travellers in their late 20s to late 60s. I have a huge 50+ following thanks to my Madeira series. They’re predominantly female and from the UK and Europe. I get frequent emails from followers asking for advice and recommendations. I’ve had many readers even visit cities, restaurants, bars and hotels that I’ve recommended – no complaints so far! I try to reply to all the emails and messages I get and have ended up with some very loyal travel-loving readers along the way who I really enjoy hearing from.
I can offer different things when working with tourist boards, hotels, restaurants and other tourism areas. I’m really keen to collaborate with any travel-related partners that will fit with my blog’s focuses, but my readers will always get my honest opinions. I will not even pretend to like things in return for free food, I promise.
Social media details
The below is correct as at 22 December 2018.
- Blog: packthesuitcases.com (shortlisted for a Northern Blog Award 2018 and a UK Blog Award 2018; ranked #3 in Feedspot’s Top Couples’ Travel Blogs 2018)
- Facebook: facebook.com/packthesuitcases (1,235 followers)
- Twitter: twitter.com/packthesuitcase (585 followers)
- Instagram: instagram.com/packthesuitcases (1,006 followers)
My most active and engaged social media following is on Facebook. I know that’s a bit uncool in this age of Instagram, but it works. I have a largely UK-based following there who frequently message me for travel tips, including on where to go next.
Pack The Suitcases’ monthly statistics
The below is a sample of my monthly stats from Google Analytics, taken from 1 to 31 August 2018.
- page views: 24,573
- average retention time: 00:03:51
- mobile vs desktop visitors: 61.87% mobile.
Awards and nominations
I’m lucky enough to have been recognised in a few awards, lists and programmes.
Features and interviews in the press
- Goteborg press clips – Gothenburg Official Visitor Guide, July 2016
- British couple ‘shocked’ by the sheer volume of tourists in Reykjavík – Iceland Magazine, August 2016 [and in Icelandic here]
- Non-traditional elegance: a gold dress and first look for a feminist bride and her glasshouse wedding – Love My Dress wedding blog, June 2017
- Pathfinders: top Instagrams: May 2018 – Lonely Planet, May 2018 [My photography was recognised in a Lonely Planet competition]
- Top 10 UK travel bloggers to follow in 2018: couples travel – Feedspot, June 2018
- Isle of Man praised as holiday destination – Manx Radio, August 2018 [I had an interview on national radio following my blog post about the area; this includes a soundbite from the radio show].
Published work: my writing for others
- The best open-jaw trips, as recommended by travel bloggers – Helen on Her Holidays, July 2017
- Foodie travel: What is the ultimate afternoon tea? – Wanderer of the World, July 2017
- International Beer Day – sampling the world’s best beer – Dreams in Heels, August 2017
- Interview with travel blogger Pack The Suitcases – Eat Sleep Love Travel, September 2017
- Travel bloggers’ love stories: incredible, but true! – Travel Moments In Time, September 2017
- 27 bloggers share their biggest travel blogging mistakes (so you don’t make them too) – Jessie on a Journey, September 2017
- 100 best places to visit in Europe – Road Affair, September 2017
- Hiking UK: 22 best day hikes in the UK by travel bloggers – Becky the Traveller, December 2017
- Best sunsets around the world – While I’m Young, February 2018
- Travelling vegan: everything you need to know – You Could Travel, March 2018
- Fairytale towns in Germany – Wayfaring with Wagner, April 2018
- Geological wonders of Europe – Akamatra, July 2018.